Re: alignment of unattached lyrics - opinions needed

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: alignment of unattached lyrics - opinions needed
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2013 10:55:20 -0000

David Kastrup wrote Saturday, March 16, 2013 8:36 AM

> Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Do you mean that we should recommend/give more attention in docs to
>> entering lyrics with explicit durations?
>
> "more"?  I don't think we even mention that possibility at all.

Wrong; see
http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/notation/common-notation-for-vocal-music#entering-lyrics
and
http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/notation/common-notation-for-vocal-music#manual-syllable-durations

> Anything else except changing the rhythm of the lyrics.  Aligning lyrics
> at a point of time to notecolumns at the same point of time should not
> require associating voices.

Agreed.  Making the override work as might be expected in
<<
  { c'2 c' d' d' }
  \new Lyrics {
    \lyricmode  {
      \override LyricText #'self-alignment-X = #CENTER
      foo2 bar la mmm
    }
  }

would be helpful, as Janek has suggested.

Trevor