Re: alignment of unattached lyrics - opinions needed

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: alignment of unattached lyrics - opinions needed
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 09:12:05 +0100

Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:

> I think usually this is just user sloppiness.  In this case, i think
> it would be good if Lily was smart enough to fix this sloppiness as
> long as the fix isn't complicated (it isn't).  If the user really
> wants left-aligned unattached lyrics, he can use overrides above.  An
> example where using unattached Lyrics makes sense and yet they should
> be centered: entering lyrics for two similar, but not exactly
> rhythmically identical voices:

Like with \relative and similar aids I am of the opinion that the
"helpfulness" of rerhythming lyrics should be strictly optional.
Indeed, generating lyrics from Midi (or similar) or entering them
without wracking one's brain about the proper melismatic arrangement of
the melody line should be perfectly feasible.

I know that I prefer entering lyrics with durations over fiddling with
\melismata commands, beaming, differences between phrasing slurs and
proper slurs and what not.  As with absolute note entry, I think the way
in which our documentation tries keeping the more basic and reliable
tools unknown to the user is overdone.

At any rate, I am quite in favor of \addlyrics and similar _only_
affecting the rhythm of the lyrics and not other aspects of their
typesetting.