alignment of unattached lyrics - opinions needed

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: alignment of unattached lyrics - opinions needed
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 20:59:12 +0100

Hi hackers,

I need your opinion on this to proceed with generalizing alignment
stuff (https://codereview.appspot.com/7768043).

What should be the the desired behaviour of "standalone" lyrics, i.e.
lyrics that don't have associatedVoice set?  If you look at this
snippet (output attached),

{ c'2 c' d' d' }
\addlyrics { foo bar la mmm }

<<
  { c'2 c' d' d' }
  \new Lyrics { \lyricmode  { foo2 bar la mmm } }

you'll see that lyrics attached to notes (\addlyrics sets
associatedVoice) are centered, while "independent" lyrics are
left-aligned.  I think that this behaviour is suboptimal - in my
opinion it would be better if lyrics were centered in both cases.
What are your opinions?

The code that's responsible for this behaviour is in lines 134-135 of
self-alignment-interface.cc, and was introduced by commit ebb1f1f1.

I've taken the liberty to cc Han-Wen because he wrote the code in the
first place, as well as David because he's usually interested in
consistency and polishing rough edges.

thanks,
Janek