Re: Freezing for 2.18

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Freezing for 2.18
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 22:30:22 +0100

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:

>> So, to resume, I agree that a freeze is important.  When the freeze
>> kicks in, I'd rather that we say something like "no new big projects
>> starting on date X will be part of 2.18" so that developers can plan
>> out their next few months accordingly.
>
> +1

Actually, "no projects without a serious chance to get finished and
debugged until date X" is a more important metric.  Take a look at the
"full" \relative proposal: it is a biggy touching several thousands of
lines.  But consequences are clear to estimate and shake out, so the
decision to do this kind of big thing can be done quite late in the
game.  Because the fallout is quite clear and limited.

The starting date is much less important than a realistic view of the
wrapup date.