Re: Freezing for 2.18

From: Xavier Scheuer
Subject: Re: Freezing for 2.18
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 21:18:37 +0100

On 10 March 2013 20:56, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

> I think there have been two issues crystallized out from it.
>
> a) \bar "|:" and \bar ":|" are a frequent cause for surprise, and the
>    return value one gets for dealing with that surprise, a direct way
>    for specifying the desired look for the unbroken variant of the bar
>    directly as \bar "|:.", is lost by having to explicitly define the
>    broken behaviors as well with a defineBarType command before using
>    \bar.  So changing the interface in a manner where one also defines
>    the unbroken behavior explicitly rather than implicitly and thus get
>    an easy way for aliases is desirable.

It is not _that_ frequent!
First, the manual clearly states that repeated section are better
entered using \repeat volta commands.
Second, there is a convert-ly rule that takes care of that very nicely.
Third, the new barline interface is/was already a great improvement
compared to 2.16.  It helped several users on the French users mailing
list who without it would not have been able to have the barlines they
wanted how they wanted.

That being said, probably it can still be improved.  But I would like
to thank first the people who worked on it because it was really nice.

Speaking of "frequent cause for surprise" I think the change between
# and $ in music functions or the change of "event chord"
(or something) breaking existing codes and snippets from the LSR
beats by far this "barline issue".
And since IIRC these are both 2.17 "improvements", I expect "surprises"
from users to come frequently again when 2.18 will be released.

Cheers,
Xavier

--
Xavier Scheuer <address@hidden>