Re: Freezing for 2.18

From: James
Subject: Re: Freezing for 2.18
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 17:53:41 +0000

Hello,

On 11 March 2013 16:34, address@hidden <address@hidden> wrote:
On 11 mars 2013, at 16:32, "Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> wrote:

> David Kastrup wrote Sunday, March 10, 2013 5:32 PM
>
>> 2.16 is growing old.
>>
>> So I want to see 2.18 soon.  That means we need to stabilize work that
>> has already been done and cut down on experiments in the master branch.
>
> Agreed.
>
>> Stabilizing means more or less accepting the current feature set, and
>> making sure it works as intended, is a useful combination of things,
>> does not offer interfaces which are sure not to survive into the next
>> stable version, and most of all, is properly documented to the user.
>
> Once the decision to stabilise is taken, further work on new features
> should take place in branches.  It doesn't have to stop.  That's how the
> skyline code was developed before it was merged into 2.17 and that
> procedure worked well.
>
>> At any rate, I'd like to aim for 2.18 at about the end of May, and
>> getting into serious freeze at the end of April.  A focus on bug fixes,
>> in particular bugs introduced in the 2.17 development cycle, should take
>> priority.  Fixing long-standing bugs hard to address should likely be
>> left for early 2.19 and/or be done in a branch.
>
> Why not freeze sooner?  The current state is sufficiently different from
> 2.16 to justify a new stable.
>
> I'd also like to propose we adopt the same controls as we did for 2.16,
> if David is willing, since that also worked well.  That way we'll get a
> clear plan - what must be fixed, what must be documented, what is
> permitted to go into master, etc.  Otherwise we'll simply disagree for
> ever.

I like the idea of freezing right away and releasing after two weeks of critical-bug-free lily. What is difficult for me is setting the freeze down the line without being able to wrap up work first.

I can lengthen the time between countdowns/patch status changes if you think it would help? At the moment I am on a 3 day cycle regardless of the day of the week (it suits me) however I understand that a lot of developers don't have the same amount of time during the week as the weekend. I know that Colin previously did fixed days, which I could try if it would help and do no countdowns on Friday. I personally have no real preference and just find it easier on a 3-day-regardless of the day cycle.

James