Re: Freezing for 2.18

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Freezing for 2.18
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 19:18:54 +0100

James <address@hidden> writes:

> On 11 March 2013 16:34, address@hidden <address@hidden> wrote
>>
>>     I like the idea of freezing right away and releasing after two
>>     weeks of critical-bug-free lily. What is difficult for me is
>>     setting the freeze down the line without being able to wrap up
>>     work first.
>
> I can lengthen the time between countdowns/patch status changes if you
> think it would help?

I don't think so.  It is my guess that the current pattern is stressing
me somewhat out, but is slowing Mike down to a crawl since I can't
really manage to bring myself to a proper review until shortly before
the end of countdown.

That's a result of our conflicting goals, and it is not really the task
of the patch status patterns to sort those out.  Even though I might
have abused them for that purpose.

If we manage to coordinate a good way to get a stable release out before
reverting to freewheeling development again, that would likely do more
for getting into more constructive waters than playing with the patch
status patterns could do.

> At the moment I am on a 3 day cycle regardless of the day of the week
> (it suits me) however I understand that a lot of developers don't have
> the same amount of time during the week as the weekend.

I think we just need the understanding that it's ok to submit "I'd like
to give this a review but can't do so before the weekend" and have that
enough to keep a patch on review without bad feelings.  For me, it is
the other way round: on the weekend, my significant other has free time,
and if I spend all of that time working on LilyPond like I do more or
less round the clock during the week...

At any rate: I don't think you can do much better than you currently do.