help-3dldf

Re: [help-3dldf] installation problem with 3DLDF

From: lfinsto1
Subject: Re: [help-3dldf] installation problem with 3DLDF
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 09:05:31 +0100 (CET)

>> On Sun, 24 Feb 2008, arnuld wrote:
>
>> No, it's not finding Flex, but I don't think it's needed, since
>> I distribute `prbsnflx.c++'.
>
> one things we need to do is put all of the prerequisites in INSTALL file
> in the distribution. so far the list has:
>
>  1.) Tex - distributed as Latex, Tex-Live or Tetex
>  2.) GSL
>  3.) Flex

None of these packages are prerequisites.

I'd like to make one thing clear at the start so that there aren't any
misunderstandings.  Somebody else once offered to work on GNU 3DLDF, was
at the point of learning how to use the tools I use, but thought that that
entitled him to start making decisions about the project.  He then took
offense when I told him that I wasn't looking for a co-maintainer.

People are welcome to make contributions to the package, but that means
contributing code and/or documentation.  I'm also grateful for any bug
reports.  Learning how to use CWEB, TeX, etc., are just preliminaries,
they don't constitute a contribution to the package.  They cause work for
me but they don't add anything to the package.  I'm willing to answer
questions because that's part of the job, but whether a person learns
3DLDF in order to use it or with a view to working on it doesn't make a
difference from my point of view.

Anyone who wants to work on GNU 3DLDF must accept that I make all the
decisions about the package.  If you can't, then you should find something
else to work on.

>> More serious is that it's apparently not finding GSL,
>> or part of it.
>
> :\
>
>> Then it won't work.  I suggest trying to compile and
>> link a trivial C or C++ program that uses the GSL matrix
>> type.  I suggest calling `configure' with the options for
>> finding the library and the headers, as I wrote before.
>
> I cannot find such a program. I mean Google search I did just did not give
> anything useful.

You have to write it yourself.  Take a look at the GSL documentation.
Include the appropriate headers and call one or more of the functions.
Try compiling with and without the options for finding the library and/or
the headers.

> congratulations, I installed "flex" and did a new CVS and  this time
> errors are different :)

I appreciate the bug reports, but I'd appreciate them even more if you'd
submit them without this sort of commentary.

> checking for gsl_matrix_alloc in -lgsl... no

It would be a good idea to try to fix this, as described above.

> g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.    -frepo -pthread  -g  -MT matrices.o -MD -MP -MF
> .deps/matrices.Tpo -c -o matrices.o matrices.cxx
> matrices.web: In member function ‘bool Matrix::is_identity(const Matrix&,
> real)’:
> matrices.web:2987: error: ‘cerr_strm’ was not declared in this scope
> matrices.web:2987: error: ‘thread_name’ was not declared in this scope
> matrices.web:2995: error: ‘log_message’ was not declared in this scope
> matrices.web:2996: error: ‘error_stop_value’ was not declared in this
> scope
> matrices.web: In member function ‘void Matrix::show(std::string,
> Scanner_Type*) const’:
> matrices.web:3699: error: ‘cerr_strm’ was not declared in this scope
> matrices.web:3699: error: ‘thread_name’ was not declared in this scope
> matrices.web:3707: error: ‘log_message’ was not declared in this scope
> matrices.web:3708: error: ‘error_stop_value’ was not declared in this
> scope

We had this before.  The declarations are in `prelims.web'.

> matrices.web:3711: error: assignment of data-member ‘Matrix::type’ in
> read-only structure
> matrices.web:3713: error: assignment of data-member ‘Matrix::matrix’ in
> read-only structure
> make[2]: *** [matrices.o] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/arnuld/programs/3dldf/Group/CWEB'
> make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/arnuld/programs/3dldf/Group/CWEB'
> make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> address@hidden Group]$

I'll have to look at this.  I'm busy today, so I don't know when I'll get
a chance.

> hehe.. that's funny. BTW, I will want try to code *without* it for first
> time :)

In general, I'd prefer to spend my time discussing 3DLDF and answering
questions about it.  It's quite possible that I'll answer questions about
Bison on the `help-bison' list.  Otherwise, there are other mailing lists
and newsgroups for the other packages I use, and people who are there
because they want to answer questions about those packages.  It would be
helpful to me if you'd ask there instead, unless the question pertains
directly to 3DLDF.

Thanks.

Laurence