help-3dldf

Re: [help-3dldf] installation problem with 3DLDF

From: arnuld
Subject: Re: [help-3dldf] installation problem with 3DLDF
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 12:04:10 +0530 (IST)

> On Mon, 25 Feb 2008, address@hidden wrote:

> If you know C++, learning C should be a snap.  C is mostly, but not
> entirely, a subset of C++.  I recommend Kernighan and Ritchie's _The C
> Programming Language_.  For years, it was the only book on C I owned.  I
> know also own the "ARM", i.e., the _C Annotated Reference Manual_, but you
> can get by with Kernighan and Ritchie and the man pages.

I have K&R2, pretty economic book :)

> I have seldom if ever seen a job posting that mentions LISP or Scheme.
> TeX, CWEB, METAFONT and MetaPost are interesting, but won't help you to
> get a job, either.  There are jobs for compiler writers and Bison might
> help you there, but the job postings I've seen are for people with formal
> qualifications in compiler theory.

In INDIA, there are lots of jobs for programmers expert at using C++, not
to mention that Indian software industry lacks good C++ programmers. Even
I have contacted by 2 companies this week only because of C++ skills but
they ain't came up with nothing yet :\

> The desire to make a contribution to 3DLDF would be a good reason for
> learning how to work on it.  Working on it in hopes that it will benefit
> your career would probably be a bad decision.  I can't put it more plainly
> than that.

definitely yes. I am happy that you remain so helpful and straightforward
in  talking about different issues :)

but then I am confused. I am at a point where I no longer need  basic C++
textbooks. I feel happy with C++ Reference Manual like Stroustrup. I want
to become a C++ coding contributor, I want to master C++ and for that I
need to leave books and work on some real-life code. For that , eLynx,
CAT++ and 3DLDF were choices and I chose 3DLDF. I don't know where I am
going :(

-- arnuld
http://lispmachine.wordpress.com

--

Email and shopping with the feelgood factor!
55% of income to good causes. http://www.ippimail.com