gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] OrthoCoordsys???, reverting

From: Benja Fallenstein
Subject: Re: [Gzz] OrthoCoordsys???, reverting
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 18:13:55 +0200

Tuomas Lukka wrote:

On Sat, Aug 24, 2002 at 12:34:46PM +0200, Benja Fallenstein wrote:
I like it as a means of getting GL to run, but not as a permanent solution: a), it's bound to make for interpolation errors at times (e.g.: you show the same view in two windows side-by-side. Then there are LOTS of coordsys/parent pairs which have the same pair of keys-- but then the parents' parents (the two windows) are different, which the kludge ignores.

Actually, it *DOESN'T* ignore that, since the KEY is changed.
Which means that the parents of the coordsys have different keys.

Ah, now I understand! I got confused with the different meanings of key in your snippet.

Every child has as its key a combination of its own and its parent's
key.

They are unique.
So real interpolation errors happen EXTREMELY rarely. A little less
rarely than purely random ints would meet but still quite rarely.

Ok.

But I'm still not entirely clear about why you think it would be more efficient that way-- can you explain?

And b), I don't buy into it being more efficient: it creates one object per coordsys, which is precisely what I'm trying to avoid in AWT. This is a place where I would like to see some serious benchmarks first before changing anything ;-)

Yes, actually I was thinking of storing ints instead of keys for efficiency.

Ok. -- Of course, then you'd have to use a custom hashtable, again.

- Benja