gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] OrthoCoordsys???, reverting

From: Benja Fallenstein
Subject: Re: [Gzz] OrthoCoordsys???, reverting
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 12:48:21 +0200

Tuomas Lukka wrote:

Based on all this discussion, I'm beginning to think that we may
not reach a conclusion soon enough for release -
Benja, would you mind a lot if I asked you to revert the hierarchical
coordsys change and put it in lava/ or something?
Yes, I would. Please, don't.

Ok, I won't.

Thanks!

For me, the worst feeling has been that I've had no thorough understanding
of what really happens inside, with the horrible *Space stuff that used
to be in there.

This API change, to me, represented a step back to that era, which is
partly why I reacted so strongly to it.

Ok, I understand.

I may disagree with you on what the cleanest way to implement this is, but as always, you're making the final decision there and it's ok if we disagree. But please, let's not move *backward*. I think it should be possible to find *some* way to implement this in GL quickly for now... we can always change it later.

Ok, I'll try to find a way to do that, but with the understanding
that this is still a temporary system; when starting to continue the UML
docs, we need to give this area a really thorough overview and look at the requirements, assumptions, limitations and come up with the design.

Sound ok?

Yes, that sounds very good.

Hmmm... it might be as easy as just making one intermediate call
to ask the coorder to make a hierarchical coordsys clipped to a particular
one...

So by default it would clip to itself, but you could set it to clip to something different? That might be good...

Or hm. (For the latter design, not for today's solution:) Actually, what I think happens often is: You have two views, A and B, where A calls B to render some part of A (e.g., a single cell, or a paper, or a window, or...). A gives B a place (coordsys) to render its stuff into. A may want to specify a rotation and scale, but not a translation of the stuff inside the coordsys (actually, translate to the upper-left corner). A will usually want to specify a clipping.

Then, B may want to do a viewport to a bigger thing, e.g. a paper, doing a translation and possibly another rotation/scale...

Seems to me that two nested coordsys, both specifying a rectangle/parallelogram *and* a scale, could be a way to go. But needs more thinking, I guess.

- Benja

        Tuomas