gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] OrthoCoordsys???, reverting

From: Tuomas Lukka
Subject: Re: [Gzz] OrthoCoordsys???, reverting
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 14:04:56 +0300

On Sat, Aug 24, 2002 at 12:34:46PM +0200, Benja Fallenstein wrote:
> Tuomas Lukka wrote:

> >>Ok, I'll try to find a way to do that, but with the understanding
> >>

> >           // a REAL kludge
> >         key = new Integer(key.hashCode() % 27482963 * 427189 +
> >         (keys[into]!=null?keys[into].hashCode() : 89761));
> >

> :)
>
> >This might be cheaper for the AWT side as well than the current code.
> >

> I like it as a means of getting GL to run, but not as a permanent
> solution: a), it's bound to make for interpolation errors at times
> (e.g.: you show the same view in two windows side-by-side. Then there
> are LOTS of coordsys/parent pairs which have the same pair of keys-- but
> then the parents' parents (the two windows) are different, which the
> kludge ignores.

Actually, it *DOESN'T* ignore that, since the KEY is changed.
Which means that the parents of the coordsys have different keys.

Every child has as its key a combination of its own and its parent's
key.

They are unique.

So real interpolation errors happen EXTREMELY rarely. A little less
rarely than purely random ints would meet but still quite rarely.

> And b), I don't buy into it being more efficient: it
> creates one object per coordsys, which is precisely what I'm trying to
> avoid in AWT. This is a place where I would like to see some serious
> benchmarks first before changing anything ;-)

Yes, actually I was thinking of storing ints instead of keys for efficiency.

        Tuomas