gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] OrthoCoordsys???, reverting

From: Benja Fallenstein
Subject: Re: [Gzz] OrthoCoordsys???, reverting
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 12:34:46 +0200

Tuomas Lukka wrote:

<me>:
*backward*. I think it should be possible to find *some* way to implement this in GL quickly for now... we can always change it later.
Ok, I'll try to find a way to do that, but with the understanding

           // a REAL kludge
            key = new Integer(key.hashCode() % 27482963 * 427189 +
(keys[into]!=null?keys[into].hashCode() : 89761));

:)

This might be cheaper for the AWT side as well than the current code.

I like it as a means of getting GL to run, but not as a permanent solution: a), it's bound to make for interpolation errors at times (e.g.: you show the same view in two windows side-by-side. Then there are LOTS of coordsys/parent pairs which have the same pair of keys-- but then the parents' parents (the two windows) are different, which the kludge ignores. And b), I don't buy into it being more efficient: it creates one object per coordsys, which is precisely what I'm trying to avoid in AWT. This is a place where I would like to see some serious benchmarks first before changing anything ;-)

- Benja