Re: [Gnu-arch-users] question about greedy library and history

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] question about greedy library and history
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 22:40:18 -0500

Johannes Berg wrote:

Hi,

For testing on win32 I was getting tla--devo--1.3, and I had a greedy,
non-sparse revision library (NTFS does hardlinks :) ).

Now, I noticed that tla tried to add --1.2 to the library as well, but
not --1.1. Testing on linux (set $HOME differently to be clean) I
registered only the 2004 archive, and got the same behaviour.

Now, when I register the 2003b archive to get --1.1 which is the
ancestor of --1.2, tla doesn't put --1.1 into the library.

You mean when you get 1.2, it doesn't get 1.1?

I think this logic is flawed -- this seems to be the effect of an
archive boundary being between the two. What is the reason for this
behaviour?

Off the top of my head, it's probably related to the presence or absence of cached revisions.

1.3 doesn't have any cached revisions, so it's necessary to use 1.2.
1.2 has a cacherev at base-0, so 1.1 isn't needed.

Since cacherevs are automatically created when you tag from one archive to another now, you'll tend to see this behaviour at archive boundaries.

I've been focusing on sparse libraries. Are lots of people using non-sparse libraries?

Aaron