Re: [Gnu-arch-users] question about greedy library and history

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] question about greedy library and history
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 11:38:24 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: David Allouche <address@hidden>

    >>> BTW, I just added a "decimate" command in tlash which deletes
    >>> 9 over 10 revisions from the library idempotently. The
    >>> idempotence garantees (along with a non-sparse library) that
    >>> the decimated library is going to be optimally hard-linked.

    >> e.g. you remove patch-2 through patch-10?  Sounds handy.

    > Not exactly, it removes everything but base-0, patch-*0,
    > version-0, versionfix-*0 and the last revision in the
    > library. I'm wondering why nobody has come up with that
    > before...

You could make lots of variations on the decimation rule.

One idea I think would be nice is to make a little expression language
for stating a particular rule and add that to `library-config' ---
then make `tla prune-library' (which decimates).

The expression language could be very simplistic at first so long as
the syntax anticipates future extension.