Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Working out a branching scheme

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Working out a branching scheme
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2004 06:43:47 -0800 (PST)

    > From: Neil Stevens <address@hidden>

    > On Friday April 02, 2004 10:26 am, Tom Lord wrote:
    > > A total history containing 11K revisions is no sweat for arch.  A
    > > total history containing 100K revisions is no sweat.  Putting all
    > > those revisions in a single arch version?  You're moving into the area
    > > of using arch poorly.

    > This answer reminds me of an old joke:

    >     "My arm hurts if I do this."

    >     "So don't do that!"

    > I don't get the impression that you're joking, though.

You mean that I'm _not_ joking?   Yes, that's right.   Seriously, by
the time you get to 100k revisions in a single development line, do
some archive cycling in there.

Not just for performance but also for administration and for user
convenience.   If you split up that line across a few archives you can
more easily put the first 90k revisions on read-only media, ignore
them during backup traversals, etc.    The output of commands like
`tla revisions -s' will be much more useful, etc.