Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Working out a branching scheme [was: tag --seal

From: Dustin Sallings
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Working out a branching scheme [was: tag --seal --fix]
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 10:42:15 -0800

On Apr 2, 2004, at 10:26, Tom Lord wrote:

11k revisions in a year comes out to a bit more than one per hour, 24
hours a day, 365.25 days.  No development process that is doing that
in a single arch version is doing anything useful.  (A process doing
that across a few (coallescing) branches, on the other hand, is
entirely realistic.)

Except this was the sum of the work from 15 extremely productive developers over about 16 months. For about nine of those months, it was four of us in a room closed off to the world pampered in every way we could be to produce the ideal code generation machine.

I don't think it's unreasonable to use arch in a centralized fashion when doing the kind of work we were doing in the environment in which we were doing it. It worked very well for us with CVS. Everyone with their own tree may have worked similarly well, but I don't see myself trying that again any time soon to find out. :)

--
Dustin Sallings