Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Working out a branching scheme [was: tag --seal --f

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Working out a branching scheme [was: tag --seal --fix]
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 21:44:46 -0800 (PST)

    > From: Miles Bader <address@hidden>

    > On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 03:42:17PM -0800, Dustin Sallings wrote:
    > >         This model makes a lot of sense to me, but you end up with a
really
    > > large number of patches in a branch, which arch doesn't seem to handle
    > > very efficiently.

    > It does fine if you use the typical techniques (my biggest branch has
about
    > 400 patches, with no issues at all; I don't see any problem with going
into
    > the thousands at least).

    > Once the back/optimized-building stuff gets added, things should be even
    > better (cacherevs will start to be even more useful, and revlibs will work
    > even better).

Thousands and beyond.  To be fair, there's a few obscure optimizations
that will have to come on line as these edge cases get exercised but,
once we're into a few thousands of changesets in a version --- if your
project has more than that in a given year then you are probably out
of control.

(Of course, the sum of commits across _branches_ should scale, in
essense, infinitely.)