Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Working out a branching scheme [was: tag --seal

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Working out a branching scheme [was: tag --seal --fix]
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 10:26:31 -0800 (PST)

    > From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>

    > > Someone mentioned the interesting case of a CVS archive that cscvs
    > > calculates at 11,000 revisions.  Aside from needed to tweak cscvs for
    > > this purpose or build some new scripts around it -- is there any
    > > reason to not want to split that into successive versions?  It's

    > Well, the fact that a CVS archive with the equivalent of 11K revisions is
    > very usable without the need for any manual tuning or tweaking makes me
    > think that Arch should be able to do that as well.

    > After all, we want to be better than CVS rather than worse, right?

No, that's The Other Guys.   We want to make the hands-down-best
revision control system.   Not quite the same thing.

A total history containing 11K revisions is no sweat for arch.  A
total history containing 100K revisions is no sweat.  Putting all
those revisions in a single arch version?  You're moving into the area
of using arch poorly.

    > >From the user's point of view, there might not be any reason (other than
    > performance limitation of tla) to split things into several versions.

I pretty much disagree although it gets into subjective fuzzy stuff.

11k revisions in a year comes out to a bit more than one per hour, 24
hours a day, 365.25 days.  No development process that is doing that
in a single arch version is doing anything useful.  (A process doing
that across a few (coallescing) branches, on the other hand, is
entirely realistic.)