[Freetype] Glyphs loading

From: Laurent Lepinay
Subject: [Freetype] Glyphs loading
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 11:46:18 +0200

(sorry if my english sounds bad because im french ;P)

Hi,
im using freetype to make a rendering to texture text service, the final
goal is to transform text files into
a 3d book to allow people to read the text as a real book.
Thus i would like to optimise the loading part of my program because
this one is too slow.
Then i would like to know if there was a way to preload all glyphs of a
given face instead of always asking to freetype to load one glyph into
one slot to retrieve the glyph's metrics.
Or is there a way to have one slot per glyphs ?

i would like to know more about this question found in the freetype's
faq:
i think it could help me a lot to solve my problem.

IV.4 How can I compute the bounding box of a given string of text
without loading its glyphs before?

                   A lot of people want to be able to compute the size
in pixels of a simple string of text with minimal overhead. For example,
that can be
                   useful to draw centered text within a button. (to be
continued...)

Thanks a lot.