Re: [fluid-dev] Qsynth broken with FluidSynth 1.1.0

From: josh
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Qsynth broken with FluidSynth 1.1.0
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 11:21:36 -0800

I know what is wrong with the knobs. It seems QSynth polls for the values immediately after assigning them. The gain, reverb and chorus are now queued as events in 1.1.0 when assigned from a non-synthesis thread (for proper thread safety). To fix this, we need to make the most recently assigned values available when queried, though they may not actually be the current synthesis values (if they haven't been processed yet in the synthesis thread).

The issue is in keeping the latest values reported to non-synthesis threads in sync with the synthesis thread, without requiring any locking in the synthesis thread. I'll think about this today and implement a work around soon. We should probably think about what other events may have similar issues, now that event queuing is used.

Since there aren't any binary compatibility issues that I can see, I think we should revert the const char * stuff for callbacks (which I have done in my local copy as well) and release a 1.1.1 ASAP, once we are sure that all QSynth related incompatibilities are resolved.

I put a note on the FluidSynth home page for now about the issues at hand.

Josh