Re: [fluid-dev] Qsynth broken with FluidSynth 1.1.0

From: josh
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Qsynth broken with FluidSynth 1.1.0
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 10:23:40 -0800

Hello Rui,

Sorry to hear you are so upset with the release. We'll do what we can to set things right!

Quoting Rui Nuno Capela <address@hidden>:
On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 17:04:59 +0100, David Henningsson wrote:
Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
i am sorry to chime in this late, but qsynth won't support this
fluidsynth release.

:-(

first of all build fails due to (const char *) api change.

Right, I'll let Josh answer to this, I thought he only changed the input

API, not the callbacks. But that is easily fixed in QSynth, I can supply

a patch against qsynth if you like.

no need for that, thanks. i can do that too. problem is that it now needs
conditional compilation flags (#ifdef's) to compile against conflicting
apis. if you fix it to 1.1.0 you'll break it to < 1.1.0, and vice versa.
not a good thing, not at all. it's a tiny change but one big trouble for
source distribution by packagers and users at large. a complete disgrace
and i would even commit the capital sin to suggest for immediate
regression, if not too late.

I think it would be good to revert the changes in the callbacks, if its proving to be so troublesome. I'm the one at fault for that change. I had assumed it would just create build warnings, but it sounds like it is worse than that. I'd imagine its only the changes in the callbacks that are the problem and not the other functions.

second, qsynth behaves very badly, inconsistently and troublesome
against
1.1.0. everything just feels broken.

Can you explain this a bit?

I haven't used QSynth much, but I fixed the const char* stuff (in qsynth

0.3.4, ubuntu version) and built it against current svn. And I got
Fluidsynth up and working in qsynth and it seemed quite responsive when
I played on my piano, and that was actually even without a real-time
kernel or rtprio. I tried changing the reverb and it worked fine.

well, you can make it play soundfonts just barely, but using qsynth gui
elements on most if not all aspects is now a nightmare, nothing is liable,
nothing stays put, all feels broken, what can i say?

Can you provide some more details? Some steps to reproduce a particular issue for example?

just try to use qsynth against libfluidsynth 1.1.0, tweak some reverb or
chorus parameters, even master gain if you like and look at the channel
presets for instance. you'll see the trouble in no time. all the advantage
you had by using a gui like qsynth has just gone astray. inconsistent,
unreliable, what a piece of junk it has become :(

sorry for the rant, if you were not a qsynth user before i'm sure you'll
never be one from now.

Rui.. I think you are waaay over reacting! We have no intention of breaking QSynth! I put a lot of time and effort in FluidSynth 1.1.0. If there are issues with it, I very much want to fix them. I think one thing that has been lacking in the FluidSynth development cycle, is consistent testing. I did as much testing as I could and a few others stepped up to the plate, but to be honest I was really expecting more. It would have been great if these issues had come to our attention before the release. I have no problems releasing a quick update or taking down 1.1.0 altogether. In order to resolve the issues, I need to be able to reproduce the problems that you are experiencing though. So far, most of what I have heard from you, is that it is completely broken and very little more to help pin down WHAT is broken.

I would really appreciate it, if you don't just start assuming that it is broken for good, its a piece of junk, etc etc.. It *really* pisses me off and is extremely counter productive!

it's a pity :( 1.1.0 seemed a good step forward but i'm afraid i will
avoid it for quite some time, at least until i have some and rewrite
qsynth from the ground up. or else, let qsynth simply rot to oblivion

Do you think you need do do more than change the const char* stuff?

yes. note that changing the const char * stuff will only solve the build
process. it is the runtime gui behavior that is at stake.

cheers
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela
address@hidden

Let me say again.. I very much want to resolve these issues and get QSynth working as before, without changes required on your part. FluidSynth 1.1.0 is supposed to be binary compatible, so there shouldn't need to be anything you have to do.

Regards,
Josh Green