adonthell-general

Re: [Adonthell-general] Translations

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Translations
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 10:31:25 +0200

On Mon, 27 May 2002 09:30:33 +0200 Nils Fohrbeck wrote:

> > But for now, we're engaged with the translation project. So we
> > cannot call for external translations - what if the TP starts
> > translating at that time? We cannot neither retire our .po. And we
> > have no way to know whether they plan to start it, as they don't
> > want developers to interfere with translators.
[...]
> Maybe I could do some translation work. Can I find the info on the
> website? Are there any tools/programms I would need?

As Alex said, it wouldn't be too good to start our translation as we
might end up with another one by the TP in the end.

That wouldn't prevent anyone from joining the TP
( http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/contrib/po/HTML/ ) and translating WE.
Actually, when browsing some of the translation team pages, I found some
of the translations marked as 'external'. So I guess if we approach the
TP and say: "hey guys, we have our own <enter preferred language here>
translation" they'll take a note of that and we'll be fine.

As for the tools: all you need is a text editor. However, there's a more
comfortable gettext mode for emacs and there are some kde tools to help
with the translation as well.

http://i18n.kde.org/tools/kbabel/index.html

Our own dlgedit might be useful too, as you can test your translation of
the dialogues with that and see if everything fits well together.

Kai