viewmail-info

Re: [VM] Time to move to Mutt?

From: John Stoffel
Subject: Re: [VM] Time to move to Mutt?
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2019 16:02:02 -0400

Uday> address@hidden writes:
>> After way too many years to mention, I'm starting to think that
>> viewmail is a dead project.  I can't do elisp programming, so it's
>> probably time to move to mutt as my CLI based mail reader.

Uday> CLI = command line interface?

Correct.  Plain SSH session to my main home machine.  But I also read
via iPhone, though I hate the lack of sorting/searching tools.

Uday> I agree it is unlikely that VM will last long. I don't know when
Uday> it will die. Probably when new RfC's will come along and we may
Uday> not have the energy to process the new kinds of messages. But,
Uday> at the moment, it seems to work fine.

In my case, it's probably mostly because I generally like a TTY
session without graphics.

>> Well... it's a pain visiting IMAP vs plain folders, so now I have two
>> sets of key bindings in message mode:
>>
>> v = visit folder
>> i = visit IMAP folder
>> w = save to IMAP folder
>> s = save to folder
>>
>> which is just clunky.

Uday> My own key bindings are:

Uday> M-x imap = visit IMAP folder
Uday> i = save to IMAP folder

Uday> We could integrate the name space so that we could use one set of key
Uday> bindings. But would you really want to type something like

Uday> s imap://myaccount@thatserver/folder

God no!  But maybe we could do s/S for regular/IMAP save?  And v/V
for visit regular/IMAP folder?  But no, that then breaks the virtual
folder commands.

>> HTML email is just painful, esp since I like to hit 't' to expose the
>> message headers, but now that's broken for html emails unless I do Shift-d
>> a few times to change the message decoding.

Uday> This is a valid point. I think you are using emacs-w3m?
Uday> emacs-w3m rebinds the keys so that 't' means something else. But
Uday> if you move into the headers area, there the VM key bindings
Uday> still work.

That would explain it.

Uday> I will see what can be done about adjusting the emacs-w3m key bindings.
Uday> There is a bug report about it:

Uday>   https://bugs.launchpad.net/vm/+bug/912531

Uday> but I have forgotten the details now. I will see if I can resurrect this.

I hope it's easy enough to fix.  What I really want to do is keep a
log of all the keybindings I use, so I can prioritize the ones I'd
like to (maybe) migrate to mutt or some other MUA.

I do hate writing all this and getting this discussion going, because
VM has served my needs for over 20 years now, which is just amazing!

>> I'm sure this is all fixable, but not with my (total lack of) elisp
>> skills.

Uday> Learning elisp itself is not a big deal, but we are dealing with many
Uday> different tools here and we have to know what is where and how to deal
with
Uday> each. That isn't easy. I don't think this problem will go away with any
Uday> other mail client you switch to either.

Believe me, (e)lisp is not a language that I can work in.  I still
shudder from my college course in Lisp all those years ago.  This is
my personal reason for not being able to contribute more to a tool I
love to use, and the emacs key bindings my fingers know and use all
the time.