viewmail-info

Re: [VM] Time to move to Mutt?

From: Julian Bradfield
Subject: Re: [VM] Time to move to Mutt?
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2019 22:06:36 +0100 (BST)

On 2019-07-19, John Stoffel <address@hidden> wrote:
> which is just clunky.  HTML email is just painful, esp since I like to
> hit 't' to expose the message headers, but now that's broken for html
> emails unless I do Shift-d a few times to change the message
> decoding.

My approach to HTML mail is to convert it to plain text in procmail
before it even hits my mailbox.

> I admit I like it alot too, eps since I can search emails or folders
> so nicely and easily.  It's just that the warts aren't getting fixed
> or even worked on.  Which is a shame.

Unfortunately, the current VM maintainer (Uday) is an academic (like
me), and the demands on our time are essentially unlimited. I can't
speak for Uday, but I only fix software when either (a) I really need
it fixed for myself, or (b) I'm desperately procrastinating!

> I do use mutt for reading one mailing list that's stupid high volume,

Hah! I feed all my mailing lists into a cnews system, and read it with
slrn. It's the best I can do to recapture that 1980s experience.