viewmail-info

Re: [VM] Time to move to Mutt?

From: John Stoffel
Subject: Re: [VM] Time to move to Mutt?
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2019 16:39:24 -0400

>>>>> "Daniel" == Daniel Barrett <address@hidden> writes:

Daniel> On July 19, 2019, John Stoffel wrote:
>> I really just love the way VM works, but it's getting flakier and
>> flakier as more an more email goes HTML based and it's just hard to
>> handle at time.

Daniel> What specific issues are you encountering?

Well... it's a pain visiting IMAP vs plain folders, so now I have two
sets of key bindings in message mode:

v = visit folder
i = visit IMAP folder
w = save to IMAP folder
s = save to folder

which is just clunky.  HTML email is just painful, esp since I like to
hit 't' to expose the message headers, but now that's broken for html
emails unless I do Shift-d a few times to change the message
decoding.

I'm sure this is all fixable, but not with my (total lack of) elisp
skills.

Daniel> I deal with HTML mail with a single middle-click that sends
Daniel> the message to Chrome.  If I'm connected to my computer by SSH
Daniel> (no Chrome), I instead view the message with lynx.

I don't even use the mouse generally, and I'm replying in VM right
now, since I *really* do like how it works to composing emails and
such.

Daniel> VM has its warts, but it's the only mail client I've found
Daniel> that handles 4000+ mail folders with ease (thanks to Emacs
Daniel> auto-complete in the minibuffer) and has vm-pcrisis.el so I
Daniel> can respond with different From addresses.

I admit I like it alot too, eps since I can search emails or folders
so nicely and easily.  It's just that the warts aren't getting fixed
or even worked on.  Which is a shame.

So I'm thinking that taking the parts I like:

   - keybindings
   - flexibility
   - emacs editing

and bolting them on top of another mail reader might be the better
long term answer.  Or at least something I could try to do and see how
it works out.

I do use mutt for reading one mailing list that's stupid high volume,
but replying is painful since the keybindings are oh so different.
The basic ideas  are the same, it's just the implementation is
different.

So re-skinning mutt with VM bindings might be the best of both
worlds.  Dunno...