Re: Basic questions about using Tramp

From: David Karr
Subject: Re: Basic questions about using Tramp
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2023 09:04:35 -0800

On Sat, Mar 11, 2023 at 6:31 AM Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de> wrote:
David Karr <davidmichaelkarr@gmail.com> writes:

Hi David,

> Unfortunately, my first stab at this didn't help.  I think the new
> function is an improvement, but it didn't fix the problem.

Could you pls send me a recipe for reproducing the problem? It shall
start with "emacs -Q ...", and it shall contain your own function, and
all steps to run into the problem.

Ok. Here are the exact steps:
1. emacs -Q
2. visit-file .emacs
3. Select entire file
4. eval-region
5.  C-x C-e (bound to cycle-make-shell)
6. visit-file /ssh:dk068x@zlt21844.vci.att.com:/home/dk068x/.bashrc (obviously depends on local environment)

Note that I tried omitting step 5, and that results in step 6 being successful. With that step, step 6 times out.

I'll attach my .emacs, cycle-shell.el, and buffer-cycle.el.

Seems like it must be something in my my-shell-mode-hook, but I don't see it.