Re: Basic questions about using Tramp

From: David Karr
Subject: Re: Basic questions about using Tramp
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2023 08:51:52 -0800

On Sun, Mar 5, 2023 at 12:52 AM Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de> wrote:
David Karr <davidmichaelkarr@gmail.com> writes:

Hi David,

> I heard about Tramp a long time ago, but I never had a big need for
> it.  Based on what I want to do now, it seems reasonable to see if
> Tramp can make this a little easier for me. I'd like to see if I can
> use tramp, or some variation, to create shell windows to the jump
> server and to the second host, but I'd also like to be able to open
> the files created on the second host in Emacs on my desktop.

This should be possible.

> I verified that I can ssh to the jump server (no password required) in
> a mintty window.  In my Emacs, I tried a simple test of trying to
> edit:

> This seems to freeze and take a long time, but then finally fails with
> "Timeout reached".  I also tried to view the "*tramp/ssh ..." buffer,
> but it was empty.

There are some hurdles which could prevent Tramp from working. Password
ping-pong, fancy shell prompts, whatever. Please call

# emacs -Q -l tramp --eval '(setq tramp-verbose 10)' /ssh:<myuserid>@<hostname>:~/.bash_profile

Tramp understands the tilde "~", so I've shorten the example file name a
little bit.

There will be a buffer *debug tramp/ssh myuserid@hostname*. Please send
this as attachment for analysis.

Ok, I've attached the gzipped output file, but what's curious is that although this tramp call fails when I do it interactively, this command line you specified works. At the end of it, I see the correct content of the file in that emacs window. I had also tried manually doing "set-variable" and setting "tramp-verbose" to "10" and then redoing the interactive call, but it still times out.