Re: Basic questions about using Tramp

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Basic questions about using Tramp
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 13:10:00 +0100

David Karr <davidmichaelkarr@gmail.com> writes:

Hi David,

> Ok, perhaps this will work better.  I'm attaching a gzipped tar file
> with three files, a slightly modified .emacs file, and the two custom
> el files.  Unpack it somewhere, and cd into the directory with the
> three files.
>
> Then run the following command line:
>
>     emacs -Q -l .emacs

Sorry, it doesn't work this way. Calling this, I get the error, that
buffer-cycle.el cannot be found. So I've commented the two lines

;; (load "buffer-cycle.el")
;; (load "cycle-shell.el")

and tried

emacs -Q -l .emacs -l buffer-cycle -l cycle-shell.el

Now there's the warning, that package cl is deprecated. OK, changing
again in .emacs

(require 'cl-lib)

And now I get the error,

Cannot open load file: No such file or directory, bash-completion

Game over. *Please* provide me a test recipe, which you have tried
yourself literally. I really haven't the time to fight against packages
I don't know, I don't need, and I won't install on my machine.