tlf-devel

Re: [Tlf-devel] "/QRP" modifier

From: Mike Waters
Subject: Re: [Tlf-devel] "/QRP" modifier
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 04:08:30 -0600

Ervin,

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 3:30 AM, Ervin Hegedüs - HA2OS <address@hidden> wrote:
Anyway, the question is how should I (Tlf) know(s) about the power of station? (this applies not just for the Stew Perry, but more generally)

In the case of the Stew Perry contests, there is NO way to know the power of the station during the contest. The only exchange besides the callsign is the grid. So we certainly cannot calculate the other station's power (even by the received signal strength, due to variations in antenna efficiency and propagation), even though we do know the approximate distance.

Only after everyone's logs are sent in can the real, true score be calculated by the contest administrator's log checking software. This is clearly stated in rule 5 at http://www.kkn.net/stew/stew.rules.txt below:

5. QSO Points: The number of QSO points for each contact depends on the
   distance between the two stations.  This is computed by taking the
   distance between the centers of the two grid squares.  Count a minimum
   of one point per QSO and an additional point for every 500 kilometers
   distance.  For example, a QSO with a station 1750 kilometers away will
   count for 4 QSO points.  No additional distance for long path is allowed.

   QSO Points are multiplied by 2X if you work a low power station and 4X
   for working a QRP station.  This is done based upon received logs and
   is computed automatically during the log checking process.

   Do not worry if your logging software does not compute the QSO points.
   Our automated log checking software does this.
But what you have done in modifying tlf for the Stew is good, MUCH better than nothing, IMO.

73, Mike