tlf-devel

[Tlf-devel] "/QRP" modifier

From: Martin Kratoska
Subject: [Tlf-devel] "/QRP" modifier
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 10:04:08 +0100

Was: Re: [Tlf-devel] Stew Perry review

Dne 13.1.2014 08:16, Ervin Hegedüs - HA2OS napsal(a):
I understand all of above, my _real_ question is how can I know
the station IS a QRP? I know, there is a "/QRP" modifier at the
end of callsign, but should we bind this for the scoring?

The /QRP modifier is considered as ilegal by many operators (including me). The legal modifiers are /P, /M, /MM and /AM, however some national authorities allowing to use /A and /number (presumably where a numbered district system is in use, ie. SM, YB etc.).

Keep in mind that calling HA2OS/QRP was considered (years ago) as calling of an unlicensed station in _many countries_. Nowadays, the massive use of /QRP is a result of the simple fact that many authorities giving up the monitoring of short wave bands, namely ham radio. Other reason to avoid /QRP is the fact that many stations (mis)using this modifier to attract more attention which is simply unfair.

The problem is in use of the "compound" sign /. No problem if you use CQ DE HA2OS QRP and so on, also TEST DE HA2OS QRP etc.

If I hear /QRP in a pile, the user has ZERO chance to get QSO with me, no matter where the QTH (my or his) is. And I am not a rare exception, it is very annoying to copy nothing but /QRP. Also, I do not fully understand those idiots applying for a very short call sign and immediately destroying this call sign with /QRP.

I want to remind that we can exist thank to the status of a "radio communications service" recognized by ITU. This is the reason why you need a license to operate on LF, MF, HF and VHF. The frequencies below 10 kHz and in the light region are not considered as radio frequencies, ie. no license (and no call sign) needed to operate there. I am one if the (few?) believing that strictly keeping of all ITU regulations will help to preserve ham radio bands and ham radio service in general. AFAIK ITU Radio Regulations does not consider /QRP modifier...

In 70s and earlier _NOBODY_ used /QRP, this nasty practice appeared first in mid 80s, with a lot of criticism.

73,
Martin, OK1RR