Just can't seem to get started....

From: Mike Bienvenu
Subject: Just can't seem to get started....
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 19:03:09 -0400

Greetings.

Warning:  novice ahead.

I'm trying to get Swarm up and running on my laptop (running WinNT, SP5).

I've installed it (-2.1.1), gotten the swarmapps-2.1.1, checked the HOME and PATH variables in my System/Environment, and gone thru the whole process several times.

I'm trying to make the hello-world v01 app which comes in swarmapps, and I keep getting the same set of errors: when I run make, the .h/.m are compiled (I can see the .o's, and they have non-zero size), then apparently the link fails. I say apparently because it scrolls by very fast, and I have been unsuccessful in capturing all the messages. The final ones read:

PplModelSwarm.o(.text+0x567):PplModelSwarm.: undefined reference to 'uniformIntRand'

and so on, saying there are also undefined references to 'String', 'ActionGroup', 'Schedule', 'probeLibrary', 'Zone' and a bunch of other classes. The list of undefined references ends with:

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [hello-world.exe] Error 1

I once had cygwin installed, but had the same exact problem, so I have uninstalled that, uninstalled Swarm, re-installed Swarm. The problem persists. Swarm is installed on my E:\ drive (E:\Swarm-2.1.1).

Where does one set the prompt string, without cygwin? I cannot find a .bashrc file anywhere, or a .profile file, now that cygwin is gone. but my prompt (in the swarm-term) reads:

"E:/Swarm-2.1.1/bin/bash.exe"-2.03$

any help would be gratefully appreciated. I need to get to the model building stage, which hopefully comes after the wrasslin'-with-installation stage.

Thanks.

Dr. Mike Bienvenu
Systems Engineering/Operations Research
George Mason University