Re: Just can't seem to get started....

From: Mike Bienvenu
Subject: Re: Just can't seem to get started....
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 21:05:28 -0400

> I'm trying to get Swarm up and running on my laptop (running WinNT, SP5).
I know it can be done :)

oh, I believe you.  ;-)

What do you see in the environment for HOMEPATH and HOMEDRIVE?
I think Marcus said that is where NT systems keep them,
individually for each user.

1) I'm only setting it up for one user -- me.

I have the following:

HOME      E:\
include     E:\Swarm-2.1.1\include; and other directories

SWARMDIR   e:\Swarm-2.1.1
path E:\Swarm-2.1.1\bin;E:\Swarm-2.1.1;E:\Swarm-2.1.1\include; and other directories

Tip 1. The swarm Terminal is just a dos box with the bash shell,
it is not very good. Run Emacs, do alt-x and then type shell,
and you get a much better terminal program because it scrolls.

okay, I'll try that. never did get the hang of emacs when I used to work on sun/solaris, tho.. ;-)

Tip 2. Cygnus and Swarm don't coexist well together. I think you
have the right tack to uninstall Cygwin and install Swarm. If
Swarm's install can't tell where your home is, it dumps .bashrc
and .emacs and such in the Swarm install directory.  If it
doesn't detect a HOME for you, then, in your case, the bash and
other files will be in E:\Swarm-2.1.1

yeah, E:\Swarm-2.1.1 is full of stuff. but *everything* is in there, I'm not sure. I may be missing something, but how will I know? (rhetorical...)

You are installing Swarm as the same user that is trying to
compile/run swarm, right? Not installing as an administrator,
then trying to use as a user? That causes some setup
complications, we can work it out I'm sure.

yes, I am me, and installing Swarm as me. Not as admin, although since it's my laptop, I'm also admin, but not today.

> I once had cygwin installed, but had the same exact problem, so I have
> uninstalled that, uninstalled Swarm, re-installed Swarm.  The problem
> persists.  Swarm is installed on my E:\ drive (E:\Swarm-2.1.1).
SwarmOnlineFaq I had some other diagnostic information about the
environment.
What does it say in a terminal if you type "mount"?
(all entries are Type user, Flags textmode)
Device                   Directory
e:\Swarm-2.1.1\bin    /bin
e:\Swarm-2.1.1\bin   /usr/bin
e:\Swarm-2.1.1         /Swarm-2.1.1
E:\cygwin\lib             /usr/lib
E:\cygwin                 /
C:\TEMP                  /tmp

where those cygwin entries came from, I'm not sure.

If you type "env" it should show your PATH. Is the swarm\bin
directory in it?

no, but it's in the System/Environment window. odd. and there are other weird things in the $PATH --- there seem to be "cygdrive/d" in front of other directory paths. Maybe that's normal....

> Where does one set the prompt string, without cygwin?  I cannot find a
> .bashrc file anywhere, or a .profile file, now that cygwin is gone.  but my
> prompt (in the swarm-term) reads:
>
> "E:/Swarm-2.1.1/bin/bash.exe"-2.03$

Swarm has bash in its bin directory, it looks like you have it
above.

no, bash.exe is in E:\Swarm-2.1.1\bin.

Another thing to check: make sure cygwin did not leave behind
their dll in  your windows\system directory.  You want to be
using swarm's cygwin dll file, which is in swarm\bin, but I
believe some newer cygwin dlls may work.

if we're talking about cygwin1.dll, then there arent any copies of it or anything similar in c:\winnt\system32 or \system. there is one in e:\swarm-2.1.1\bin, which I gather is correct.

The linker report seems to indicate that the linker isn't finding all the <file.h> that are in the source code for the hello-world problem. I've been trying to get the include paths right, but i haven't had much effect yet.

next steps?

-Mike

Dr. Mike Bienvenu
Systems Engineering/Operations Research