Re: Just can't seem to get started....

From: pauljohn
Subject: Re: Just can't seem to get started....
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 20:25:52 -0500

Mike Bienvenu wrote:

> 1) I'm only setting it up for one user -- me.
>
> I have the following:
>
> HOME      E:\
> include     E:\Swarm-2.1.1\include; and other directories
>
> SWARMDIR   e:\Swarm-2.1.1
> path         E:\Swarm-2.1.1\bin;E:\Swarm-2.1.1;E:\Swarm-2.1.1\include;
>                      and other directories
So if  Home is E:\ when you do the swarm install, that's where
it puts the bash setup files, but, as I mentioned in the last
note, I recall Marcus saying that on NT the variables it looks
for are HOMEPATH and HOMEDRIVE.  Did you look at this part of
the FAQ?
http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/SwarmFaq/SwarmOnlineFaq.html#3.5
> yes, I am me, and installing Swarm as me.  Not as admin, although since
> it's my laptop, I'm also admin, but not today.
>
> > > I once had cygwin installed, but had the same exact problem, so I have
> > > uninstalled that, uninstalled Swarm, re-installed Swarm.  The problem
> > > persists.  Swarm is installed on my E:\ drive (E:\Swarm-2.1.1).
> >SwarmOnlineFaq I had some other diagnostic information about the
> >environment.
> >What does it say in a terminal if you type "mount"?
> (all entries are Type user, Flags textmode)
> Device                   Directory
> e:\Swarm-2.1.1\bin    /bin
> e:\Swarm-2.1.1\bin   /usr/bin
> e:\Swarm-2.1.1         /Swarm-2.1.1
> E:\cygwin\lib             /usr/lib
> E:\cygwin                 /
> C:\TEMP                  /tmp
>
> where those cygwin entries came from, I'm not sure.
I feel ABSOLUTELY sure this is the cause of your problem. You
have a mixture oc cygwin and swarm mounts.  Swarm goes  for its
stuff, and the mounts send it off to E:\cygwin=lib and
E:\cygwin.  The swarm ones don't look quite right either,
perhaps they are remnants of Swarm-1.x or something.  Look at
the umount command, and then remount the ones you need.

> >If you type "env" it should show your PATH. Is the swarm\bin
> >directory in it?
>
> no, but it's in the System/Environment window. odd.  and there are other
> weird things in the $PATH --- there seem to be "cygdrive/d" in front of
> other directory paths.   Maybe that's normal....
Not really normal as long as the mount has that monkey business
in it.
Dept. of Political Science
http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn