Re: Just can't seem to get started....

From: pauljohn
Subject: Re: Just can't seem to get started....
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 18:12:50 -0500

Mike Bienvenu wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> Warning:  novice ahead.
Greetings!

> I'm trying to get Swarm up and running on my laptop (running WinNT, SP5).
I know it can be done :)

> I've installed it (-2.1.1), gotten the swarmapps-2.1.1, checked the HOME
> and PATH variables in my System/Environment, and gone thru the whole
> process several times.
What do you see in the environment for HOMEPATH and HOMEDRIVE?
I think Marcus said that is where NT systems keep them,
individually for each user.

> I'm trying to make the hello-world v01 app which comes in swarmapps, and I
> keep getting the same set of errors:  when I run make, the .h/.m are
> compiled (I can see the .o's, and they have non-zero size), then apparently
> the link fails.  I say apparently because it scrolls by very fast, and I
> have been unsuccessful in capturing all the messages.  The final ones read:
>
> PplModelSwarm.o(.text+0x567):PplModelSwarm.: undefined reference to
> 'uniformIntRand'
>
> and so on, saying there are also undefined references to 'String',
> 'ActionGroup', 'Schedule', 'probeLibrary', 'Zone' and a bunch of other
> classes.  The list of undefined references ends with:
>
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [hello-world.exe] Error 1
Tip 1. The swarm Terminal is just a dos box with the bash shell,
it is not very good. Run Emacs, do alt-x and then type shell,
and you get a much better terminal program because it scrolls.

Tip 2. Cygnus and Swarm don't coexist well together. I think you
have the right tack to uninstall Cygwin and install Swarm. If
Swarm's install can't tell where your home is, it dumps .bashrc
and .emacs and such in the Swarm install directory.  If it
doesn't detect a HOME for you, then, in your case, the bash and
other files will be in E:\Swarm-2.1.1

You are installing Swarm as the same user that is trying to
compile/run swarm, right? Not installing as an administrator,
then trying to use as a user? That causes some setup
complications, we can work it out I'm sure.

> I once had cygwin installed, but had the same exact problem, so I have
> uninstalled that, uninstalled Swarm, re-installed Swarm.  The problem
> persists.  Swarm is installed on my E:\ drive (E:\Swarm-2.1.1).
SwarmOnlineFaq I had some other diagnostic information about the
environment.
What does it say in a terminal if you type "mount"?

If you type "env" it should show your PATH. Is the swarm\bin
directory in it?

> Where does one set the prompt string, without cygwin?  I cannot find a
> .bashrc file anywhere, or a .profile file, now that cygwin is gone.  but my
> prompt (in the swarm-term) reads:
>
> "E:/Swarm-2.1.1/bin/bash.exe"-2.03$
>
> any help would be gratefully appreciated.  I need to get to the model
> building stage, which hopefully comes after the wrasslin'-with-installation
> stage.
Swarm has bash in its bin directory, it looks like you have it
above.

Another thing to check: make sure cygwin did not leave behind
their dll in  your windows\system directory.  You want to be
using swarm's cygwin dll file, which is in swarm\bin, but I
believe some newer cygwin dlls may work.

> Thanks.
>
> Dr. Mike Bienvenu
> Systems Engineering/Operations Research
> George Mason University