Re: Errors after Swarm install on LinuxPPC

From: Darren Schreiber
Subject: Re: Errors after Swarm install on LinuxPPC
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 14:44:45 -0800

Good News - gdb is running. This was one of the main problems with my Linux install that had led me to try unsuccessfully and update swarm.

I think that the problems are still installation related based upon my use of gdb. When I run the Cocktail model, it says it can't find SwarmEnvironment.m and I confirmed by hand that the file is not in fact in place. My suppostition is that either these files were not correctly installed or that they are no longer required and yet something thinks they are.

As far as compiling heatbugs, I am getting this complaint about the syntax of the Makefile. I don't see anything odd about it and it looks like the syntax of other Makefiles I have. I cut out the "ifeq ... endif" stuff from the Makefile and changed the include to /usr/etc... instead of the $(SWARMHOME)/... stuff. It still didn't compile correctly. The error reported was "no target specified."

Thanks for the continuing help.  I can't wait to simply be writing code again.

        Darren

________________

(gdb) run
Starting program: /home/darren/swarm/MyStuff/Cocktail1.00.1/.libs/partyModel

0xfc01ba8 in swarm_directory_objc_find_object ()
    at /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/swarm-2001-01-13/src/SwarmEnvironment.m:261
261 /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/swarm-2001-01-13/src/SwarmEnvironment.m: No such file or directory.
(gdb)

address@hidden heatbugs]$ cd /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/
address@hidden BUILD]$ ls -l
total 0
address@hidden BUILD]$

cd /home/darren/swarm/swarmapps-2.1.1/heatbugs/
make -k
Makefile:1: Extraneous text after `ifeq' directive
Makefile:1: *** missing `endif'.  Stop.

Compilation exited abnormally with code 2 at Tue Jan 23 14:08:36

DS> But, this answer doesn't seem to match the results below.

I didn't build the RPMs with a modified compiler.  And I didn't rebuild
the compiler because, hey, people should be using Java anyway and
I've got enough to do without waiting around for bootstraps of GCC to
finish on 130mhz macs.

DS> I get a segmentation fault and the program simply won't run.  This
DS> program was running consistently on Windows machines with Swarm
DS> 2.1.1.  I will go back and see if heatbugs and others run.

If they do work, then get a backtrace of your app like so:

  gdb .libs/yourapp
  (gdb) run
  (gdb) bt

DS> Now, if I need to patch the compiler, I have no idea how to do that.

The modified compiler is for building Swarm itself, not applications.

DS> Also, how exactly do I find the application directory (or its
DS> linux equivalent) and what text do I add to the Makefile to set
DS> SWARMHOME correctly?

It depends on your shell, but if you are using bash, i.e. if you get a number
when you say:

echo $BASH_VERSION

Then you can set SWARMHOME by adding this:

export SWARMHOME=/usr

..to either .bash_profile or .bash_login.  You'll probably have the former.

                 Darren Schreiber
                  Attorney at Law
                 Graduate Student
             Political Science, UCLA