Re: [Simulavr-devel] [patch #7032] unitialized HWUart, did never finish

From: Klaus Rudolph
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] [patch #7032] unitialized HWUart, did never finish sending
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 18:15:22 +0100

Joerg Wunsch wrote:
> As Petr Hluzín wrote:
>
>> Because the ATmegaXX is the canonical (manufacturer's) name. The
>> processor's name is ATmega16, not atmega16.  A compiler, simulator,
>> etc are not in position to reject official names.
>
> OTOH, the lowercase form has been in use in the AVR-GCC toolchain all
> the time, and the compiler only accepts it as lowercase.  But of
> course, I wouldn't mind if other tools accepted it in any case.
>
>> By the way avrdude uses (and used to require) a "code" of m16 for
>> that chip. What about requiring "m16"?
>
> AVRDUDE only offers that as a shortcut alias.  It accepts the long
> name as well, and it is case independant when accepting the name.

The first implementation of the main function of simulavrxx accepts all
variants of lower and upper case namings. But someone designed that out,
don't know why. The old solution was to convert all input chars to
lowercase and compare against a lowercase string. The solution is much
smaller than this discussion. It is very nice to read that kind of
academic mails here :-) I use the old version of main, all newer ones
brake my environment :-)