Re: [Simulavr-devel] [patch #7032] unitialized HWUart, did never finish

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] [patch #7032] unitialized HWUart, did never finish sending
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 06:20:07 +0100

As Petr Hluzín wrote:

> Because the ATmegaXX is the canonical (manufacturer's) name. The
> processor's name is ATmega16, not atmega16.  A compiler, simulator,
> etc are not in position to reject official names.

OTOH, the lowercase form has been in use in the AVR-GCC toolchain all
the time, and the compiler only accepts it as lowercase.  But of
course, I wouldn't mind if other tools accepted it in any case.

> By the way avrdude uses (and used to require) a "code" of m16 for
> that chip. What about requiring "m16"?

AVRDUDE only offers that as a shortcut alias.  It accepts the long
name as well, and it is case independant when accepting the name.