Re: [Simulavr-devel] [patch #7032] unitialized HWUart, did never finish

From: ThomasK
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] [patch #7032] unitialized HWUart, did never finish sending
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 10:31:51 +0100

Hi Petr,

I have a little bit more time, traffic situation today isn't really good. ;-)

Because the ATmegaXX is the canonical (manufacturer's) name. ... (First
argument.)

You are right on that. But I think, that's not a really big issue. I asked, because I want to understand, why. So, I think, your solution, to make device type case independent is ok. It makes it possible to use both forms, even if AtMeGa16 also would work. (a type of art, of course :-)) )

Do users test if their MCU type is ok for compiler by feeding it to
simulator the first? I think they do not, they feed it to compiler
first (usually by makefile). In such case the relaxed requirement in
simulator does not matter.

If you write and compile a program at first and then start simulavr by hand. People are (ok, should be ... ;-) ) flexible enough to use the right writing.

But think about automated test systems and the scripts behind. If you use 2 forms to explain device type, you have to configure it. Two times the same information with different writing is one possible source of mistakes. And such automated tests are necessary! I have found some bugs in code by using (now more extended) regression tests over all device types. And we need much more of such tests!

(Cannot we fix the compiler?)

Can you move the mountains? ;-)

By the way avrdude uses (and used to require) a "code" of m16 for that
chip. What about requiring "m16"?

It smells like adjusting an interface suit machine well at expense of humans.

You are right. But sometimes humans are also a little bit inconsequent ... ;-)

I have not, my changes are bit older. My repository is based on CVS
around 2009-06. I made quick look at Onno's git repo. I found some
interesting changes and some fixes I independently made, too. I found
a discussion about a repository/version-system on the list but I did
not see a conclusion.

That's right, there is no conclusion. What's your opinion to this discussion? Stay on CVS or change it? Btw. the "old" code base is also available in Onno's repo. (cvs-upstream branch!) And I think, it's right to hold this code base available and support it, till we release a new official version of simulavr.

(I want to keep some changes in my private repository.)

Why not, that's possible and normal. And with git it's much more easy to hold such changes in private branches and to participate in all new changes from "offcial" branches. (or other private or development changes of course)

cu, Thomas