Re: [Simulavr-devel] test mechanism

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] test mechanism
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 12:48:08 -0700

Thomas,

On Tue Aug 25 13:26 , Thomas Klepp  sent:

>now I have time to answer.

>> In any case, the more general questions are what is to be development
>> protocol and will it change while I am working on something messy.
>
>Yes, that's really a question. But I can't answer this. Nobody from
>sinulavr maintainers has given a statement, what's the way to future.
>Stay on CVS, maybe backport changes from git (but this is now a lot of
>changes) or switch to git or whatelse.
>
>>> My question points to that, that in git repo we use a derived class from
>>> RWMemoryMember, called IOReg. Your code would work too for registers,
>>
>> This is different from the CVS version?
>
>Yes, IOReg gives a connection between hardware units and rw memory
>array. Before you had external RWMemoryMember classes, which connect
>memory array to hardware unit. Now IOReg registers are member of the
>hardware units.
>
>Before it was (for example):
>
>rw[0x63] = new RWPin(this, portg);
>
>Now it's coded as:
>
>rw[0x63] = &portg->pin_reg;
>
>I think, this idea from Onno is easier to understand and easier for
>changes and maintainance.

It's not obvious to me that the IOReg way is better.
I'll do some reading before making a more definitive statement.

What are the other important differences between the CVS and git versions?

>> I made sbi and cbi virtual so they could be overridden.
>>
>> Whose git repo is "git repo"?
>
>Yep, also a good question. :-) My repo is a fork of Onno's, but we have
>agreed, that's not a good idea to have more than one. The most of
>reasons are connected, how this forks can be synchronized, the best is,
>to get it fully synchronized. But for that it's not necessary to have
>forks. But Onno is busy with other things and so I have made some
>development on my fork. The plan is, if Onno have time, to sync my fork
>to Onno's repo and then to delete my fork. In the moment, my master
>branch is younger (and more current) than Onno's.

Then from my point of view, your git repo.

--
Michael Hennebry
address@hidden