paragui-users

RE: [paragui-users] a few changes to PG_FileSelector

From: Dinand Vanvelzen
Subject: RE: [paragui-users] a few changes to PG_FileSelector
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 12:49:28 +0200

OpenGL is faster or equal speed as SDL blitting in software.
The problem is OpenGL works on different principles using geometric
primitives. So the API itself is more hands on. This creates room for
misuse of OpenGL. Example : the want to draw 10000 triangles in OpenGl
and SDL and then compare. Then they proceed to make a separate state
call for each of the glTriangles using GL_TRIANGLE mode instead of
GL_TRIANGLES. Stupid misuse like that offcourse is not beneficial to
performance. While in SDL there's not as much the user can do wrong as
in OpenGL.
Offcourse if there's even the smallest hardware acceleration then OpenGL
takes the lead over SDL software blitting by far. And since 3D and 2D
acceleration is standard on even the most low-budget cards these days...

On another note :
Allegro is totally software rendering using OpenGL function call
syntaxis.

Greets,
DV