om-synth

Re: [Om-synth] sustain pedal

From: Phil Frost
Subject: Re: [Om-synth] sustain pedal
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 16:44:22 -0500

On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 02:25:21PM -0500, Dave Robillard wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-14-12 at 18:45 -0500, Dave Robillard wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-12-12 at 20:35 +0100, Atte Andr? Jensen wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > Strange. Sustain pedal doesn't seem to have any effect on om, although I
> > > have a vague recollection of it working once-upon-a-time. At least I can
> > > see that my computer recieves an event when I press the pedal, so I
> > > asume the pedal is working (plus I tried with 3 diffrent ones). So What
> > > I'd like to know:
> > >
> > > 1) Is sustain pedal supposed to work out of the box, that is holding it
> > > will sustain notes?
> >
> > Does now (in CVS).  Only in the note node for now though (ie not the
> > trigger node, which doesn't make too much sense anyway...)
> >
> > There's still some problems with voice allocation (you can hit an
> > assertion if you've built with debugging) but like everything else MIDI
> > now that I have a keyboard I'll figure that out soon enough.
>
> Update:  MIDI seems to be working fine now, voice allocation seems
> right, the weird clicking issue is gone, and hold pedal works.  I'm
> playing the organ patch right now w/ 8 polyphony and liberal hold pedal
> use, no problems so far.
>
> All I need to do now is pitch bend, and keyboard playability should be
> "complete" (unless I'm missing something?)

Many keyboards also have a "modulation" wheel, which sends CC 1, and is
most usually bound to vibrato depth. It's nice to have it by default,
but it's also nice for patch implementors to have the ability to bind it
to something else.

Also "Main Volume" (CC 7) is often expected to control the volume
without affecting timbre. Probably fewer reasons a patch implementor
would want to change this behaivour, but still always nice to have the
capability.