om-synth

Re: [Om-synth] sustain pedal

From: Dave Robillard
Subject: Re: [Om-synth] sustain pedal
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 18:10:17 -0500

On Fri, 2005-16-12 at 16:44 -0500, Phil Frost wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 02:25:21PM -0500, Dave Robillard wrote:

> > > Does now (in CVS).  Only in the note node for now though (ie not the
> > > trigger node, which doesn't make too much sense anyway...)
> > >
> > > There's still some problems with voice allocation (you can hit an
> > > assertion if you've built with debugging) but like everything else MIDI
> > > now that I have a keyboard I'll figure that out soon enough.
> >
> > Update:  MIDI seems to be working fine now, voice allocation seems
> > right, the weird clicking issue is gone, and hold pedal works.  I'm
> > playing the organ patch right now w/ 8 polyphony and liberal hold pedal
> > use, no problems so far.
> >
> > All I need to do now is pitch bend, and keyboard playability should be
> > "complete" (unless I'm missing something?)
>
> Many keyboards also have a "modulation" wheel, which sends CC 1, and is
> most usually bound to vibrato depth. It's nice to have it by default,
> but it's also nice for patch implementors to have the ability to bind it
> to something else.
>
> Also "Main Volume" (CC 7) is often expected to control the volume
> without affecting timbre. Probably fewer reasons a patch implementor
> would want to change this behaivour, but still always nice to have the
> capability.

You can bind any MIDI CC to whatever you want.

There is a master volume RPN (distinct from CC 7) that maybe should be
supported though (a master volume for all of Om in general might be a
good idea).

As for modulation wheel, there can't be any special support for that in
a modular like Om - Modulate _what_? ;)

-DR-