Re: Problem with mhl.format

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: Problem with mhl.format
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 18:35:41 -0500

>Even tho x-apple-move-tofolder, x-apple-action and other lines are in
>~/Mail/mhl.headers, they still show up in the message.
>
>What am I missing or not understanding?

Is it possible the "certain mail" that ignores mhl.headers are not
MIME messages?  Specifically, do those messages meet the following
criteria:

- Either lack a top-level Content-Type header, or contain a Content-Type
  header that specifies text/plain with either a us-ascii character
  set or your native character set
- Either lack a Content-Transfer-Encoding header, or contain a C-T-E
  header specifying an encoding of 7bit, 8bit, or binary.

If the message is considered "text" (by passing BOTH of the above
tests), then "show" will run mhl to display the message, which uses
mhl.format to display the ENTIRE messages.

If the message is considered "nontext" (by failing either one of the
above tests) then "show" runs "mhshow" to display the message, which
uses mhl to display the headers (which by default uses mhl.headers)
and then decodes parts of the msssage body that it can.

So if you want to exclude headers in ALL messages, you need to put
them in both mhl.headers and mhl.format.  That's because of nmh's
incomplete MIME handling.  Sigh.