nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] warning the user that some keys cannot be rebound

From: Rishabh Dave
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] warning the user that some keys cannot be rebound
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2016 23:38:45 +0530

On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 12:00 AM, Benno Schulenberg
<address@hidden> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 14, 2016, at 14:51, Rishabh Dave wrote:
>> I have attached (signed) patch.
>
> Thanks.  However... you still haven't learned to put the logical
> operator and the end of the line.  That is the style; don't vary
> it.  I've corrected it and applied and pushed the patch.
>
>> We allow ASCII character key code between 64 and 127, but many of
>> those are not coloured, aren't recognized and/or run function same as
>> some other keys.

Those operators were crossing 76th position. So I shifted them down
despite of your patch.

Afraid to ask (because it is too late to ask for it), but do we have
document declaring coding style? I will compare next time onwards
before sending. I never saw any..

> Aaah...  Good detective work!
>
>> bind ^@ gotoline main #not coloured
>
> With "not coloured" you mean it's not colored /green/ --
> because it's colored allright: in red.
>
> Binding ^@ works, but the side effect is that it also rebinds ^Space.
> So I think we should reject any attempt to rebind ^@, to avoid this
> confusing behavior.
>
>> bind ^[ writeout main #doesn't work, not recognized, not coloured
>
> ^[ is the same as pressing <Esc>, so if you type ^[ followed
> by X, you toggle the help lines.  So yes, an attemtpt to rebind
> ^[ should be rejected too.
>
> And ^{, ^}, ^|, ^~, and ^` should be rejected too since they
> have no effect.

You were already aware of them? I came across just a few days ago only
following my curiosity which was almost random.

>> Different bug or goes with this (in case we will want to report them
>> to user)?
>
> Please report a new bug.  It's related to the previous one, but
> that doesn't matter.  It will require more fixes in the triaging
> step, and some tweaks the nanorc.nanorc file.

I know what triaging is (in context to testing), but in case more than
just knowing s required, do tell me (or in case something more
specific is required).