Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: renaming branches (was Re: Ideas and questions.

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: renaming branches (was Re: Ideas and questions.)
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 02:16:59 -0800

On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 03:50:54AM -0500, graydon hoare wrote:
> oh, never underestimate njs' uncanny ability to crush your finest ideas
> into a paste :)

graydon, you say the nicest things :-)

I need to go to bed and sleep on this, but some random, not quite
integrated thoughts:
  -- we shouldn't think of this as solving the current "branch names
     should be global" maybe-problem; it mitigates it a bit, by making
     it easier for people to turn poor choices for branch names into
     better choices for branch names, but people can still collide
     their branch names and this is a problem to most of the extent it
     is in the current design.
  -- how much of the "people keep not choosing unique names" problem
     can we solve by attempted branch names against the regexp
     ^.+\..+/.+$, and if they don't match that regexp printing
     "Error: invalid branch name: should be of form 'host.name/branch'"
     ?
  -- if the above actually convinced people to choose good names in
     the first place, would branch renaming still be such a commonly
     requested feature?
  -- actually, why _do_ people want branch renaming?  I've never felt
     the need, personally, so while I can make up some guesses, I
     don't actually know why people keep asking for it over and
     over... anyone?
  -- is the functionality to let everyone have different local branch
     names, that don't necessarily correspond to their buddy's name
     for the same branch, a feature?  is the functionality where we
     can no longer tell without checking some long hexstrings whether
     what I mean when I say "branch foo" is the same as you mean when
     you say "branch foo", really a feature?
  -- how much will these issues be affected if we add in a security
     system that lets project leaders specify on a per-project basis,
     "keys foo, bar, and baz get to commit to branch ___.main; for any
     key X, key X is allowed to commit to any branch under branch
     ___.sandboxen.X; ..." etc.?  (I think of this because of someone
     suggesting that renaming is important because how should they
     know what the right name to use is?, and such a file could
     provide such policy in a structured way.)
  -- OTOH, people do keep asking for the ability to rename branches --
     and adding a layer of indirection solves that problem, if not
     some other ones.  Perhaps it is a good idea for that reason, and
     it doesn't matter that it doesn't necessarily solve some other
     problems.

"Of course, the entire effort is to put oneself
 Outside the ordinary range
 Of what are called statistics."
  -- Stephan Spender