Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: renaming branches (was Re: Ideas and questions.

From: Jon Bright
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: renaming branches (was Re: Ideas and questions.)
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 14:41:33 +0100

Nathaniel Smith wrote:

  -- actually, why _do_ people want branch renaming?  I've never felt
     the need, personally, so while I can make up some guesses, I
     don't actually know why people keep asking for it over and
     over... anyone?

1. Corporate name changes

com.xyzcorp.product becomes com.blahcorp.product

2. Product name changes

com.xyzcorp.product becomes com.xyzcorp.productpro

3. Change of ownership

com.xyzcorp.product gets bought and becomes com.blahcorp.product

(or com.blahcorp is a new split-off of com.xyzcorp - change of ownership of the corp rather than just the product)

4. Old domain dies

If I'm not using an old domain any more, and the only thing forcing me to keep it is my SCM system, I'd say this is a sign of something wrong :-)

5. New domain born

I don't have a domain*, I buy one. Now that I can**, I want to do things right...

(* I have several, but I hear there are still people without :-)
(** Not an answer to your question, but there should be *some* kind of provision for people who don't have a domain...)

--
Jon Bright
Silicon Circus Ltd.