Re: [Monotone-devel] renaming branches (was Re: Ideas and questions.)

From: Christof Petig
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] renaming branches (was Re: Ideas and questions.)
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 14:55:34 +0100

graydon hoare schrieb:
  1. release 0.17 without any epoch support, do a big smelly email
     telling everyone to pull from our rebuilt database just like with
     0.16, perhaps also with a protocol number bump again, and have no
     particularly better way of avoiding the breakage of old and new
     revision graphs colliding. then work on this branch-as-ID stuff
     for 0.18.

Christof Petig schrieb:
Not again. I regularly sync against several different servers and if all
servers and all clients within reach have to update at the same moment
it causes a great pain (read I need severaly monotone binaries on one
machine). I already encountered this twice (with monotone, monotone-viz
and my own projects) and I don't want to go through it again (since the
number of projects grow).

I don't know whether my distributable certificate deletion proposal
(http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/monotone-devel/2005-02/msg00124.html)
solves the issues which are to be solved with epochs. They should be
able to avoid reinserting invalid revisions into the main server
(because they still exist but are hidden) and they should be able to
cause all clients getting an up to date idea of history. So, IIRC, they
are able to propagate a rebuild.

[But I'm not sure whether certificates which do not belong to a revision
of the requested branch on the server get transmitted to a client which
still thinks that this revision is part of the branch (if not a
certificate to delete a revision from a branch will never get
transferred by syncing with that branch)]

   Christof