m17n-list

Re: [m17n-list] Add arrows

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: [m17n-list] Add arrows
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2013 22:17:30 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)
<address@hidden> writes:

> Thanks for the suggestions kenichi. I wanted to balance intuitiveness with
> typing speed.

Of course that is an important point, but...

> >From the perspective of speed, I certainly don't want to be typing two
> different characters (eg: ->) to produce the symbol, let alone three
> different character (/->). Typing the same character twice is super quick (
> as in >> and << ). From the perspective of intuitiveness it is not too bad:
>>> retains some similarity with ->. Hence, I would rather retain >>.

If it is common that one have to inupt that arrow symbol a
lot in Devanagari context, your discussion is valid.  But,
from your example web page, I don't see that speeding up the
inputting of arrow symbols is worth sacrificing the
intuitiveness and the other usage of ">>" and "<<".  Even if
we speed up the time of inputting arrows twice or even ten
times, the total time for typing the whole page doesn't
change that much.

In addition, one may prefer ⇒ rather than →, then perhaps
we can add "/=>" for such a person.

> >> and << are used in mathematics in the sense of something being very much
> larger or smaller than another.

They are also used for quoting something like <<this>>.

> > And what is the reason of removing the map ^->त्र्?

>  Because I have often found myself wanting to represent exponents (२^५) and
> kept having to exit devanAgarI mode.

Isn't it necessary to define another key for inputting "त्र"?
Is it that frequent to type such a mathematical expression
using Devanagari digits?

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden