Re: Adds dimension stencil command to correct with-dimension (issue 1295

From: Mike Solomon
Subject: Re: Adds dimension stencil command to correct with-dimension (issue 12957047)
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 12:42:38 +0300

On 26 août 2013, at 12:39, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

>> To summarize: stencil expressions (expr_) currently do not contain
>> information for how to place stencils with respect to others.  They
>> contain information passed to the backends on how to lay out
>> stencils.  If we adopt either Keith's patch or my first one (which I
>> created before I thought this fully over), we will create one
>> stencil primitive that uses the stencil's expression to influence
>> layout decisions.  This does not seem consistent with current
>> practice and I believe we should find a solution that avoids it.
>
> I think that Keith's (or your) patch is small enough to allow an
> deviation from the `ideal' to fix a real bug.  Maybe it helps to add a
> remark to the source code that this stencil primitive is a temporary
> hack until a better, more generic solution gets implemented.

In French there's a saying "Temporary solutions have a way of becoming
permanent", which is why I'd like to avoid it if possible.  What we don't want
is for people to start using the stencil primitive if we know it's temporary.
But if we can somehow prevent that (a sort of internal-only primitive) plus add
a big TODO somewhere, that'd be OK and would save time.

Cheers,
MS